Sunday, October 28, 2012

2012 Mystery Retreat Progress #4

Although I have put away most of the large projects, I have worked some on my Mystery Retreat project.  This is the bottom section, which was designed by Debbie Rowley.  There is still a lot to be done on it, but I think I am now working on the last bit that is relatively easy.  The rest of this section involves overlays and overstitches and even some needleweaving and will require a LOT of attention!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Mad Miters Available

You thought you'd seen the last of Mad Miters?  Well, no! 

The instruction booklet is now available on my website!
So, if you or someone you know missed out on the workshop, you can still learn this fun technique!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

New Bargello

 During the past few weeks I started a new Bargello.  It doesn't have a name yet, and won't for awhile because I will be stitching at least one more colorway, maybe two more.
I used FyreWerks Soft Sheen for the vertical and horizontal centers.  The rest is all Silk & Ivory and Watercolours.  I expect to finish this part and start filling in the background by the end of the week.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Christmas Caper, Progress #3

While I have not been posting regularly for awhile now, I have been stitching.  Well, not as much as usual, but some.  Christmas Caper is coming right along.  I've worked on this piece the most because I really like it!  It is fun to stitch.
The Big Guy has a face!  And front legs!  He is all done in Petite Very Velvet. 
The chimney is finished.  I thought I was going to run out of thread, but I had just the right amount, even though I rushed to buy another skein just in case! 
And the snow on the roof is also finished.  I used #12 Kreinik 032, but the sparkles don't show up in the photo.  It is alternating Smyrnas & Mosaics.  It looks good and comes forward, as it should.
I think next I will do the other 2 raccoon faces that are peeking around the chimney.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Christmas Caper, Progress #2

Christmas Caper is coming right along.  What a fun stitch!
I finished the top of the chimney last night and I have a good start on the bricks.
The chimney is a simple square Mosaic in a very light tan Watercolours.  I used the same thread for the grout.
The bricks are also in Watercolours and I used the Alternating Oblong Cross.  I really like the way that is turning out!  I had quite a time finding just the right stitch that would give texture without a noticeable direction.  The bricks are too large (10 threads high) to use a brick stitch!
I will go to my LNS tomorrow to get the rest of the thread I need so Big Guy can have a head!

My new counter tops are in and the kitchen is put back together. 
I LOVE my new counters!  They are Silestone (quartz) in a color called Stellar Snow.  Aptly named, it is white & gray with shiny silver sparkles!  I also got a new undermount sink, stainless with deeper bowls.  It is great!  No more grout to clean!

I'm still pretty busy though & not getting in a lot of stitching time.  A friend is arriving today and will stay about a week.  We will have a lot of fun shopping and stitching and we have a mini needlework retreat to go to all day Sunday. 

Oh, and by the way, Happy Anniversary to this blog!  It is 3 years old.  Thank you followers and readers!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Christmas Caper by Charley Harper

I have temporarily retired all of the large projects I have been working on.  And started this cute, fun, smaller one.  This is a very busy time for us.  DH has G2E (gaming show) and is pretty much completely taken up with that this week.  To make it a perfect week, we are having our kitchen counters replaced - Thursday!  Eek!  They will be beautiful, but I have to empty most of the cabinets, or seal them up, because of dust.
I have quite a few of the Charley Harper charts and decided to do The Christmas Caper - just for fun!
The raccoons will be all in Petite Very Velvet.  I have a start on the big guy:
 I'm using the black glitter canvas, which is easier to work on than expected, but does not photograph well.  I'll try putting something dark behind it next time.
Nobody took a chunk out of his tail, that is where the garland will go across!
The gray is a little light, but it is what I had.  I do have to get some thread though.  I need a lighter gray for the faces or white if there is no such gray in PVV.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the garland, but that will be last anyway, so not to worry!  I think I will look for a charm for the moon.
The tail is in Encroaching Gobelin and the body is just a slanted gobelin, changing direction with each row.  The "lines" are backstitched with #12 pearl.cotton.