Sunday, October 16, 2016


I have nothing to show you, but thought I should explain why I haven't posted for so long.

The kitchen & bathrooms remodel is coming along nicely.  We mostly have full function in the kitchen again, except for the stove.  That was supposed to have been hooked up on Friday, along with a bunch of other electrical stuff.  However, there is a HUGE fire south of us.  It is far enough away that it is not a concern, but on Friday it caused a lot of road closures and the workers couldn't get here!  So, everything got moved forward to Monday and after.  Sigh. 

As for the fire, it is between Carson City and Reno and as of last night was 20% contained.  More rain today so that should help and the high winds have died down too.  Hopefully they will get a good handle on it today.

To complicate things, I had a procedure done on my RIGHT (dominant) hand and have been unable to stitch for weeks.  I had/have Dupuytren's Contracture and decided to get it fixed before it got any worse.  Well, it was already pretty "worse" and the healing time is much longer than I expected.  I can stitch a little now, but get tired and achey quickly.  I'm not real keen on working on anything "important"!!  I am getting therapy now, 2X/week, so maybe things will move along a little faster.

Anyway, I'll be back soon I hope.  Thanks for sticking with me!  And if any of you have experience with Dupuytren's, please let me know about it!!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Gardener's Alphabet G Final

The G is in its tray.  I'm quite pleased with the way it looks!

I may not post again for a week or two (three?) because we are remodeling the kitchen and 2 bathrooms.  (Don't worry we have a third that we will use!)  Demolition begins tomorrow and we will be without a functioning kitchen for 3-4 weeks.  We are setting up a temporary "kitchen" in the Master Bathroom!  I just keep reminding myself how beautiful it will be when it's finished!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Gardener's Alphabet G Finished

The commissioned letter G is finished.  I hope to get it in its tray in the next few days.
The border worked out well, although I had a scary moment when I thought it didn't fit right.  Turned out fine!
I left the center of the G with open canvas as I thought the compensation of the Reverse Scotch would just make it look messy.
I'm very happy with the way it turned out!

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Window Seat Cushion 1

Some of you will have already seen this on Facebook, but for the rest:

Some months ago I decided the windowseat in our loft needed a cushion. Well, in my house that means a needlepoint cushion. First measure: Holy cow, it needs to be 18" by 60"! That's five feet!! I managed to find 9 pieces of stitched needlepoint that I had never "finished" and that sort of coordinated. I also had fabric that could be used for the sashing and backing. It took awhile, several tries, to find a layout that works and for which I have enough of the rust fabric (for sashing). Some needlepoints will be sewed directly to each other, but some need filler (sashing). Here is the fabric and (sort of) final layout.
The backing fabric is an upholstery weight velveteen, I think.


Saturday, August 27, 2016

Jewelry Box Bargello

Yes, I know I have been remiss about posting.  But I do have something to show you now!  
A month or so ago I decided I needed another jewelry box and I had one (Sudberry House Long Jewelry Box) in the cupboard that just needed stitching.  
So I did it!  I have a larger Sudberry jewelry box so I used the same colors and threads, more or less, and quickly worked up the outlines of the design.  I finished it last weekend and popped it in.  It now sits on my dresser with it's mate.  Now I just need time to fill it up, which involves rearranging a lot of costume jewelry!

I love Sudberry products!  Such easy finishing :-)
(No affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Saturday, August 13, 2016

More Finishing

I've been getting more things finished, but this time I did them myself!  Yay me!  They may not be as perfect as a professional would do, but it sure cost less!

First up, Gardener's Alphabet "T" put into an acrylic trivet.  The back has a piece of cork on it.  This is the easiest finish there is, just trim and stick it in there!  I did have some trouble getting it straight though and it would have been better if the stitching hadn't come right to the very edge.  Sorry about the flash reflection!

Next is a tote bag.  I've had this zippered tote for several years, my husband brought it home from a convention.  I use it all the time as a project bag and one day the light went on!  Cover the logo with a piece of needlepoint.  Duh!!  I had this Mad Miters in my portfolio and it fit just right over the logo.  I purchased the brown edging and sewed it all on.  Fortunately, my sewing machine has a free arm, or I wouldn't have been able to do it!  

And then there's the Bargello Christmas Stocking.  I debated about having this finished into a "real" stocking, or just finished flat.  I purchased some ready-made dark green welting.  I had a fat quarter of christmas fabric.  Ok, I'll give it a try.  What do you know!  It actually turned out pretty well, as a real stocking.  A little wobbly around the heel & toe, but still - not bad for an amateur.  Maybe I'll use it for cards this year.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Gardener's Alphabet "G"

This is a commission piece.  My friend wants this letter G in a  tray, so I have to come up with border & background to fill it out.  The letter is too small by itself for the tray.  I have started a border in the upper right corner.  The thread is a Threadworx overdyed floss and matches the canvas almost perfectly!  I haven't yet decided for sure about background.  Will wait to see how it looks once the border is finished.
If you love the letter G, or any other letter, the patterns are available on my website!