Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Pansy Elephant by Dede Ogden

This beautiful Pansy Elephant designed by Dede Ogden began her life in 1981.  She was introduced to me in a workshop with Dede in San Diego.  I don't remember if it was a seminar or an EGA workshop (there was no ANG chapter yet there). I also don't remember if it was painted or line drawn. Definitely not counted.

She was moved many times, in various states of unfinished-ness, finally ending up in Reno.  Sometime in the early 2000's I finished stitching the Elephant but didn't know what I wanted for a background. Back in the drawer she went.

2008 I was again inspired and decided she should have an oriental Rug behind her. I adapted a design from a book Needlepoint Designs from Oriental Rugs by Goethe Sorensen.  I designed the borders.

Ok, so the stitching was done but even though I had used a frame, it was somewhat distorted. Especially the white part of her blanket which is pulled work. That was pretty bumpy. I think I tried to block it out.  No success so she sat around in the drawer again for a long while.  But recently I showed it to an old friend who thought she could fix it and would make it up into a pillow as well. So here you have her!  My nearly 40-year-old elephant!  

Monday, February 17, 2020

Houndstooth finished

Its finished!  I learned a lot from this piece and from your comments and suggestions. Primarily I learned to look through someone else's eyes!  Gave me a whole different perspective on the design. So, thank you all
For your help.
I don't know what we'll do with it. Frame probably. It's my husband's choice this time. So we'll see what he decides to do.

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Houndstooth

This is one of my rare forays into painted canvas. It's really hard!  But she perseveres!  I don't know the artist, but it is Houndstooth Tablet Case from Dream House Ventures.

It's about half done. It's hard to see, but there's a lot of metallics and most of the black is Pearl cotton. Too much black uurrggg. 
Anyway, the 2 areas marked (upper left and right corners) have me stumped. Does anyone have any ideas about a stitch or stitches to use?
The yellow with gray circles I plan to do with nested Jessica's. The black wedge I want to try to use waffles, with lots of compensation. 

Friday, January 3, 2020

Candy Dish

I saw this design on Facebook several times and finally decided I wanted to try it.  The design area is 5x5 and I have several finished pieces that size.  Sooooo, if I liked it, I could make candy dishes.  

I finally found the pattern for sale on Etsy and bought it.  Surprisingly enough, I happened to have most of the materials in stash and was easily able to find a substitute for the other. I would make one, per the pattern, and go from there.

Here is the result.  With and without candy.  It's ok, but not ok enough to make any more.  The finishing instructions are a bit vague and I suspect I didn't do it quite right, but it was a PITA in any event!  One of my substitutions was the backing fabric.  I used felt, which did not make a nice edge.
Oh well.  It's done  First 2020 finish!