Friday, January 15, 2016

Seven Fractal


You may be wondering what I'm working on besides all the tiny things I've shown you so far this year.  
Seven Fractal by Brownmoondesigns is one of them.  This design is by Stephen Mooney and has been in my To Do pile for at least 10 years!  I can no longer find this online, so I assume Mooney is no longer doing needlepoint designs.  

When I bought the pattern, I rushed right out and bought all the thread, made working copies of the charts and taped them altogether into one huge chart.  And there it sat!

When I finished Walking the Water's Edge, I decided to finally do this gorgeous fractal!
Well, since it has a color change about every other stitch (yikes!) I decided I would not start in the center (as recommended), but would start in the upper right corner, which is my basketweaving norm.  That didn't work out real well since this design is on 18x18 stretcher bars.  Much too large to reach the upper corner.  As you can see by the pic below, I didn't get very far with that.  
So then I had to figure out what to do!  I finally decided to start at the middle, but on the left side.  I am working the top section, but upside down and that puts it on my rignt.  I know, too complicated, but it's working for me.  Oh, and by the way, I am no longer working form the huge taped together charts!  That turned out to be too big to deal with also!  There are 16 pages of charts, but they are not all full pages.  I am getting close to finishing one page.

I am using the recommended colors, in DMC floss & pearl cotton.  I have changed one of the yellows to a Kreinik gold to give it a little sparkle.  I haven't used much of the Kreinik yet and it doesn't show up well in the photo anyway.  
I have made good progress, but it is tedious work and I can only work on it a couple of times, although long sessions, without needing to work on something simpler.  Hence the many tiny things!

I will post progress pix occasionally, but not often as visible progress is slow.

4 comments:

Sara Leigh said...

Yikes! That is a lot of color changes. I'll be interested in watching your progress. I used to design cross-stitch with a lot of color changes, aka confetti. Key words: "used to."

Brenda M. Côté said...

Wow, this is going to be spectacular. I too often work upside down on large projects--my arms just aren't long enough and all that stretching would be back breaking. Will enjoy following your progress.

jhm said...

I would have started in the corner anyhow and just work upside down. Anyhow, Enjoy!

Beth in IL said...

This is wonderful. I have one in my stash and need to pull threads and work on it.