Finally, the secret is out! As some of you know, for the last several months I worked mainly on a "secret" needlepoint that was intended as a gift for a friend. Well, now the gift has been received and loved, so I can post the progress pictures and notes. First, is the inspiration painting, Vases Blues I by Isabelle Borchgrave. Next is Progress Photo #1.
First I charted the outlines and chose my colors (based on my friend's newly redecorated bedroom). I picked my stitches as I went along. The wallpaper patterns are all from an old book I have called "Patterned Backgrounds for Needlepoint", but I used overdyes which gives them a very different look. The columns in the background are an encroaching gobelin. I used straight stitches & textured stitches for the vases to bring them forward. The tabletop in navy I used Alternating Scotch so that it would work up quickly and not overwhelm the vases. I used all floss and metallics and the canvas is a soft sage green.
I think it turned out pretty good! And I got it done in time for xmas! Following is Progress Photo #2, #3, and the finished piece.