The first block has taken me forever. First I had about half ot the basting done & discovered I had it turned the wrong way. Out came the basting & back in. Once I started the block, I was goin' good & discovered I was one thread off from the basted square. Well, I just ripped out that basting thread again, only this time I didn't put it back in! I'll just count from one square to the next.
This is my first block. I followed most of Pam's suggestions for the color placement, except: I used the dark brown instead of the teal for the outlining on the pinwheel. And the "color" in the 8 small squares was supposed to be my darkest accent color. Well, my darkest khaki was too light, it was about the same "value" as the brown. Not a good look! Since there isn't a darker khaki in that family, I ended up using a Fyre Werks Soft Sheen. It doesn't seem to be much darker than the floss, but it appears darker when stitched! Finally, I'm happy with it.