Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sunday Project - Lighthouse


Several years ago, my husband went on a business trip to the East Coast. He visited a beach city, Newport, RI, I think, and wanted to bring me something back. The only store he could find that had needlepoint was a Michael's so he bought me this Dimensions kit. It is printed on 12-count interlock canvas and came with unknown floss. Well, I knew that the only way I'd ever stitch it was to change the threads and try to use a variety of textured stitches! I pulled a pile of threads from my stash and I worked on it for awhile, but then it wandered off to the "when I get a roundtoit" pile.

Last month, I pulled it out and decided to make it my Sunday Project for this summer. I worked on it the first time this past Sunday. I have used quite a variety of threads and very little of the floss that came with. The flowers are all rayon ribbon French Knots, some are deliberately sloppy. Not too many of those left to do, thank goodness. I am NOT fond of doing French Knots! The lighthouse is wool & a little Pearl cotton and it's lights are Flair and FyreWerks, they will become more clear with some backstitching. The paths are a combination of blended floss and Watercolors. All of the green is Silk & Ivory, some in Slanted Gobelin. This week I put in the boats with Neon Rays. They don't look like much yet, need some backstitching. I also worked on the sky quite a bit. It is in floss with Alpaca 18 clouds.

I think I'm going to use an overdyed Kreinik braid for the water, but I haven't decided on a stitch yet. Maybe next Sunday! This is quite an unusual project for me. It isn't Bargello. It isn't aqua & tan. It isn't a geometric. And it isn't charted! But I think it is coming along pretty well.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, That is the best thing I have ever seen done with a Demensions kit. (I don't mean to offend anyone who likes kits.) It shows you appreciated your husbands gift to you and you do not have to live with unknown thread.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

You are brave, indeed, to work with a kit - especially with that ghastly interlock canvas. You were wise to change the threads. I look forward to seeing what other improvements you make - interesting picture, and a lovely and thoughtful gift from your dh.

Front Range Stitcher said...

Believe it or not I have always thought it a great idea and challenging to buy a kit and change the thread and stitches; I do agree though that interlocking canvas can be harsh on the finer threads. In any case, it's great that you've made this a Sunday project and DH can see your progress. Have you ever tried Burmilana Argyle? The aquamarine might be good for water especially if you add a strand of something shiny to it. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Anonymous said...

This is definitely a different project for you to work on! I love the stitch you used on the lighthouse. It makes it look like it was made from rocks. I look forward to seeing more of it.