Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Sunday Project - Lighthouse
Several years ago, my husband went on a business trip to the East Coast. He visited a beach city, Newport, RI, I think, and wanted to bring me something back. The only store he could find that had needlepoint was a Michael's so he bought me this Dimensions kit. It is printed on 12-count interlock canvas and came with unknown floss. Well, I knew that the only way I'd ever stitch it was to change the threads and try to use a variety of textured stitches! I pulled a pile of threads from my stash and I worked on it for awhile, but then it wandered off to the "when I get a roundtoit" pile.
Last month, I pulled it out and decided to make it my Sunday Project for this summer. I worked on it the first time this past Sunday. I have used quite a variety of threads and very little of the floss that came with. The flowers are all rayon ribbon French Knots, some are deliberately sloppy. Not too many of those left to do, thank goodness. I am NOT fond of doing French Knots! The lighthouse is wool & a little Pearl cotton and it's lights are Flair and FyreWerks, they will become more clear with some backstitching. The paths are a combination of blended floss and Watercolors. All of the green is Silk & Ivory, some in Slanted Gobelin. This week I put in the boats with Neon Rays. They don't look like much yet, need some backstitching. I also worked on the sky quite a bit. It is in floss with Alpaca 18 clouds.
I think I'm going to use an overdyed Kreinik braid for the water, but I haven't decided on a stitch yet. Maybe next Sunday! This is quite an unusual project for me. It isn't Bargello. It isn't aqua & tan. It isn't a geometric. And it isn't charted! But I think it is coming along pretty well.