Friday, September 25, 2015

2012 Mystery Retreat FINISHED!

Finally, the 2012 Mystery Retreat piece is finished.  I added a cabachon to the center and surrounded it with a large Jessica in Kreinik braid.  Then I just did some random stitches to fill in the areas on the sides of the cabachon.  It turned out pretty good.
Then I finished the bottom section.  Once I got the parts that use tulle and the memory thread, I wasn't happy with the amount of open space.  It seemed there was much more in that section which made it out of balance.  So I added some odd squares of Skip Tent in a shade just slightly darker than the canvas.  I think it helped.
I don't know when I'll get around to framing it, but I'll show you when I do!

Friday, September 18, 2015

18th Century Sampler, Progress #1

Here we go, into the sampler unknown!  
I received the instruction book and couldn't wait to get started!  The book is terrific, with great diagrams and photos of everything.  It will be a wonderful resource to have.
I have completed 2 squares in the center section.  The one on the right was supposed to have some pulled work, but I don't like to do pulled work.  So I just stitched the little squares without pulling, and then put a bead in each one.  I like it!
Here's another view of that square.  That detail photo is more accurate for color.  It is aquamarina canvas and DMC 959.

Friday, September 11, 2015

2012 Mystery Retreat Progress #6

The major WIP I've been working on is from the 2012 Mystery Retreat.  I know, but it's not the oldest one by a long shot!

I have now completed the top section, and left and right sections.  The center section is done except for the very center, where I was not successful with the stitches used in the pattern.  I have to go back and do something there.  I found a cabachon to go there that is the right color, but it is oval and I don't know if I can make it work.

The bottom section is nearly done.  There are a couple more steps to do that involve using tulle.  That's next on my list and I hope I can do it right!  Or at least close.....  LOL

Friday, September 4, 2015

I am doing SJ Design's 18th Century Sampler, an online class.  This is a real departure for me.  I don't do projects like this!  But from the moment I saw it, I was obsessed with it. Go figure!  I finally just decided to do it.

I have completed all the prework I intend to do, which is the middle row of boxes. It is a reach on this large piece, but I manage!  Some are using Congress Cloth but I'm using 18-count, so it's big (21x22 frame!).  Only a few of us are using color I think.  It is all one color, uses 3 sizes of pearl cotton.   Most folks are using white or ecru.  Looking forward to filling in the boxes.