Sunday, January 31, 2016

Seven Fractal, Progress #2

I have made considerable progress on this fractal.  I have now completed one page, and about half of the next.  I hope to finish that 2nd page this coming weekend.  I am wishing I had used a lighter brown around the edge.  But, there's NO WAY I'm going to take that out!  Lots of the yellow & gold threads are now on top of the brown, on the back.  As it is, I changed it from black to very dark brown.  I'm quite pleased with the way the blue stuff is turning out.  I am using Kreinik's Japan Gold (in place of the gold floss) within the blue areas.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Color Delights-Aqua

The small project I'm working on now is Needle Delights Originals' Color Delights--Aqua, by Kathy Rees.  I changed the colors slightly in order to use stash.This little project finishes as a 5" square, on 18-count.  It is relaxing to work on. Once again, the metallic and Neon Rays don't really show up very well.

I did run into a small issue with the pattern because I had a very old version.  But I emailed Kathy and she responded very quickly with the corrections.  Thanks Kathy!!

Monday, January 25, 2016

18th Century Sampler, Progress #2

You haven't seen this for quite awhile.  That's because I didn't work on it for quite awhile--the Gardener's Alphabet took over!

This is Susan Johnson's 18th Century Sampler online class.  I have now completed the center row of 5 squares and 4 borders, a narrow one and a wide one on each side of the center squares.  The narrow borders are actually a dark teal Kreinik braid, but as usual the metallic doesn't show up very well. 
I have just begun a row of circular motifs--just 1/4 of the center circle.  Oh, and by the way, the canvas is Aquamarina.  I don't know why it didn't photograph that color!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

O Christmas Tree

O Christmas Tree Ornament by Sharon Mann for Kreinik.
My next tiny needlepoint is a free design on Kreinik's website.  I have had this printed out for years!  On 18-count it ends up being about 2-1/8" square.  Even too small for some of the little frames I have!  
I did not use beads as instructed, used Kreinik instead.  I just didn't want to put that much work into it!  (Beads are "work" to me.)  I also used floss instead of the Silk Mori.  I think it turned out cute.

Friday, January 15, 2016

Seven Fractal

You may be wondering what I'm working on besides all the tiny things I've shown you so far this year.  
Seven Fractal by Brownmoondesigns is one of them.  This design is by Stephen Mooney and has been in my To Do pile for at least 10 years!  I can no longer find this online, so I assume Mooney is no longer doing needlepoint designs.  

When I bought the pattern, I rushed right out and bought all the thread, made working copies of the charts and taped them altogether into one huge chart.  And there it sat!

When I finished Walking the Water's Edge, I decided to finally do this gorgeous fractal!
Well, since it has a color change about every other stitch (yikes!) I decided I would not start in the center (as recommended), but would start in the upper right corner, which is my basketweaving norm.  That didn't work out real well since this design is on 18x18 stretcher bars.  Much too large to reach the upper corner.  As you can see by the pic below, I didn't get very far with that.  
So then I had to figure out what to do!  I finally decided to start at the middle, but on the left side.  I am working the top section, but upside down and that puts it on my rignt.  I know, too complicated, but it's working for me.  Oh, and by the way, I am no longer working form the huge taped together charts!  That turned out to be too big to deal with also!  There are 16 pages of charts, but they are not all full pages.  I am getting close to finishing one page.

I am using the recommended colors, in DMC floss & pearl cotton.  I have changed one of the yellows to a Kreinik gold to give it a little sparkle.  I haven't used much of the Kreinik yet and it doesn't show up well in the photo anyway.  
I have made good progress, but it is tedious work and I can only work on it a couple of times, although long sessions, without needing to work on something simpler.  Hence the many tiny things!

I will post progress pix occasionally, but not often as visible progress is slow.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Very Very Merry

Very Very Merry is a free design from Susan Johnson at sj-designs.  It was intended to be done in beads, but I just did it as a cross stitch on a small piece of perforated paper that I had in stash.  Threads also from stash - floss & Kreinik.
A very quick stitch.
And it's even finished!  This clear acrylic round was supposed to be a luggage tag, but I think it makes a fine ornament!

Friday, January 8, 2016

Ghosts & Pumpkins

Another small one bites the dust!  This is a very tiny Laura Perin design called Ghosts & Pumpkins.  It was a free kit I received at a retreat several years ago.  There was a choice to put a pumpkin or a ghost in the center & I chose the pumpkin. It is only a little over 2" square and was intended to be a pin, but I'll finish it as an ornament.  Eventually.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Another Mad Miters

I found another small Mad Miters that was started as a class model.  It had all the basting and a tiny bit of stitching.  So I finished it. It's only 5x5.  Used Silk & Ivory and Neon Rays Plus. Played around with different stitch lengths.  I like it. First finish of 2016.  It goes in my Mad Miters portfolio.