Friday, August 23, 2013

ANG Seminar 2013

Today I am heading to Anaheim to attend the ANG Seminar 2013.  I am excited!  I haven't been to a seminar in several years and I am soooo looking forward to meeting folks and attending classes and seeing the exhibit and shopping!

I will not have my computer with me, so I won't be posting again until after August 30.  See you then!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Menagerie, Finished

Menagerie is finished!  It only took me a year & a half to do this year long project...  Of course, there were some pretty long stretches when I didn't work on it at all.  It is finally finished and I'm quite happy with it. 
It is somewhat of a departure for me.  I'm not completely thrilled with the shaded blackwork background, but it does set off the "blocks", which is what I wanted.  I also backstitched around each block with #4 Kreinik.
One of these days I might even have it framed!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

New Threads

Last weekend we went to San Diego and part of the trip was a visit to Needle Nook of La Jolla! 
Above is a quick pic of the threads I got there.  They are all Painter's Threads.  The 3 skeins on the right are (top) #5 Pearl Cotton and two #8 Pearl Cotton.  I didn't know they made that and the colors are scrumptious!  So I had to have some (ahem) samples.
All the rest is the Ribbon Floss Shimmer.  I used some of that in the last Bloomin' Bargello I did and it was so gorgeous I wanted to get a selection of colors.  There are a few more colors, but they weren't anything I thought I could use.  They have apparently changed their packaging so the threads are in little cellophane bags, which is nice because it protects the thread. 
I am anxious to use some of these beauties!

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Transitions, Framed

Transitions is framed.
I couldn't get the color quite right in the photo.  The inner filet is actually a silver wood, the mat and frame are kind of a pewter.
It looks good.  The red inner mat brings out the diamond.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Indian Summer Progress

Indian Summer is moving right along.  It stitches up quickly and doesn't ask me for much of my attention!  The top 2 patches are complete (except for that one corner which I'll fill in the next time I use that thread) and I've started on the bottom.  Once the patches are done, there are several borders to stitch.  I'm pretty sure hoping this will be finished before the end of the month!

Friday, August 9, 2013

Menagerie, Progress #3

I've got a good start on the background and a border for Menagerie.  The background is shaded blackwork, working from light in the corner to dark at the center, the thread is an overdyed silk and I'm using just 1 strand.  (The squiggly lines in the upper right are my shading guidelines & will come out.)  The border is a Crossed Scotch variation in Watercolours and FyreWerks.  I'm lucky that the stitch just fits!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Marta Mask, Progress #6

DH was out of town this past weekend, so out came the Marta Mask.  I spent the better part of an afternoon deciding on a stitch to use for the "feathers".  I found this one, called Katie's Cross, on my Suzy's Stitches app.  (I love having stitch books on my iPad & iPhone!).  It is worked in shades of gray #8 pearl cotton with Neon Rays Plus accents.
Once I completed one feather, I realized that it was time to get some cording.  I want to do the black & silver edging around the feathers with black purchased cording and couch it with silver.

I took Marta with me, thank goodness!  I thought I would want a 3/8" twisted cord, but it was much to "tall", although it covered the areas well.  I had to get 3/16" cord and as you can see below, it doesn't cover well, but it looks right.  I will need to increase the inside of the areas. 
In the pic, the cord is just laid on the canvas, I haven't started stitching it down yet.  I'm hoping that I can force the ends through the canvas & secure on the back.  I will probably tack it down with black sewing thread and then couch it with silver FyreWerks or Kreinik metallic ribbon.  If any of you have any ideas about all this - I'm open for suggestions!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Indian Summer

I have started another Laura Perin piece - Indian Summer.  This will be a companion piece to Sedona Sunrise which I finished a few months ago.  I have changed a few of the colors so that they will be compatible.  I know, I already have a ton of projects going, but sometimes I need to work on something that someone else has already figured out!  Just follow the directions...  This project uses Pearl Cotton, Floss, Watercolours and some FyreWerks.   Here is my progress so far:

Friday, August 2, 2013

Menagerie Update #2

Menagerie is done except for the large amount of background.  And I may need to add a border.  The photo is dark on purpose so you can see the sections better.  The canvas is actually Eggshell. 
I only worked 16 of the suggested 19 blocks plus background, which will be the 17th "block". 
I chose not to do Whitework, Redwork, Couching or Beading. 
But I added Assisi work (the years 2012 & 2013, lower right), a plaid, and a Darning Pattern. 
The background will be shaded Blackwork.  I think it will go fairly quickly once I figure out what to do!.