Monday, August 29, 2011

Fractal Progress #1

 Some of you may remember last summer when I "re-charted" this design (the pic on the right is the re-chart).  By doing so, I reduced the number of colors from 79 to 46, partly by eliminating colors that were practically identical and also by substituting an overdye for several colors.  I also added some metallics.  I spent a couple of weeks doing this and while I enjoyed the process, I doubt that I will ever do that again!

I finally started stitching it a couple of months ago.  I haven't posted about it before because it just takes forever to get anywhere!   Anyway, here is my progress so far:
Doesn't look like much does it?
I am stitching it on brown 18-count canvas with DMC floss (4-strands), one Threadworx overdyed floss, and Kreinik #12 metallics.  As slow going as it is with 46 colors, I can't even imagine what it would be like at 79.  I do enjoy the process though.  I wonder if I'll ever finish it?  I won't post about it often for obvious reasons!

4 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

This is going to be amazing when you finish, Liz!

Sara Leigh said...

This is going to be gorgeous.

It's like the cross-stitch I used to design, i.e., "photo realistic" and entailing a lot of confetti stitching. I took pictures of flowers in my garden, then put them through my Photoshop darkroom shenanigans, imported that into my charting program, and proceeded to tweak away at the number of colors to keep it to 50 or fewer. Then I stitched them. I spent over a year working on "Morning Glory," ripping the central floral motif out once, then starting all over again when I got off somewhere and couldn't find my way out. Another time I was more than half finished with the central motif, "Day Lily," and decided I didn't like the way the colors were working, so I started that one all over again. Both were over 2 on either 28- or 32-ct linen. Can you see why I find charted needlepoint much more satisfying now?

green.bow said...

it looks nice so far.
good luck for the rest of your project! :)

Anonymous said...

You've put a lot of thought and work into redoing this design and made a wonderful start! A little at a time, you'll get it done. Looking forward to seeing more as it develops.